Tuesday 27 November 2012

Paddington and parklife

As touched on in previous blogs, I had abandoned my quasi-home in Petersham for the delights of catsitting in Paddington. Much closer to the city and to Bondi, this also has the added delights of beautiful terraced houses with wrought iron balconies, and Centennial Park merely a stones throw away.

Early evening in Paddo
 
I hit Paddington market early Saturday morning, but was unwilling to pay 8 bucks for a small smoothie. So I wandered up to the park.Where I managed to get lost. Very, very lost. Turns out, it is a very large park.
 
But not to fear, I thought, it will be fine, I'll just check on google maps where I am. Well, it was a good theory. I was informed that I was in the middle of Oxford Street. Well if that was the case it had become very grassy and was covered in children engaged in some kind of sports day, and men playing some kind of incredibly violent version of frisbee. Which was very entertaining to watch but still wasnt helping me navigate.
 
So wandered around in the sun and eventually found the bit of the park I recognised from previous trips. At the same time I found the bats which I had previously failed to see in the Botanic Gardens. Apparently they were proving so destructive in their former location that the Sydney government blasted them out using incredibly large sound waves. Which would explain why several thousand of them now live in Centennial Park. For nocturnal animals, they are very noisy during daylight hours...
 
 
 
Although slightly less so than the bird life


After a brief refreshment stop I continued my wanderings. There is an amazing amount of variation. Huge plains of grass, swampy patches, pine woods, areas of tropical palms, waterways, euchalyptus glades etc.
 
 
It was by the following building that a strange event occurred. I suddenly noticed a large group of men walking towards me, many dressed in morph suits in bright colours and singing loudly while brandishing booze in the requisit brown paper bags. As they neared me I tried not to stare. Evidently this didnt really work as they started shouting at me:
 
"We've come for you! Guards! Guards! Take her away!"

 



I love random people.

All watched by a sinister black cockatoo...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment