Sunday 30 December 2012

Pudding and no pants

Christmas morning started very early. I was designated alarm person - shouted 'Jim, wake up, go cook the pig!' then fell asleep. Unfortunately, so did Jim. As luck would have it, Lacey the dog chose this moment to go nuts at a neighbouring mutt, rousing the whole household. At 5 am.

While the men put the pig on the spit, and others decided to start drinking rather earlier than usual, the rest of us mooched around trying desperately to get back to sleep. When I eventually rose, I promptly slipped and fell on the remains of my fancy dress costume from the night before.

One of the Berry family's Christmas customs is a fancy dress parade on Christmas Eve. Naturally our whole flat forgot. So I hastily put together a costume from what I had with me. Some makeup, a headtorch, and a plastic bag. Slim pickings. So while everyone else sparkled as Rudolph, or Santa's Little Helper, or a Christmas Star, I brought the mood down as a sweatshop elf. Clad in a bag, with dirt (eyeshadow) all over face, ratty hair and a headtorch. How... festive? But it won me a prize!

My contribution to the meal/table laying was the napkins. It was commented that I had turned the table into an Indian restaurant...



The day was spent eating. And eating again. And eating some more. The pork from the spit was fantastic, despite catching on fire (ironic as the Christmas pudding wouldnt...) There was a choice of bloody hundreds of puddings: Christmas pudding, gingerbread house, Christmas cake, Pavlova, fruit salad, icecream... the list goes on.

 

Still cant believe a normal everyday person made this!!!

 Someone murdered the Christmas cake...

The afternoon was either spent waltzing round the kitchen dancing with one of the many dogs, or trying to force them to wear antlers. Which was very original and amusing behaviour. And I wont hear otherwise...

 



The only down point was the absolutely torrential pissing rain. As a stupid pom I had dressed for summer. When questioned as to why I was shaking I obviously replied that I had no trousers. So I was followed for the rest of the day by people yelling "Beth has no pants!". Hmmph.

Finished off the day with a few hours of Balderdash. Laughed so much I was weeping. I would recommend it to anyone. A fantastic Christmas Day. Which left some a little worse for the wear...


Complete with 'festive' bottle cap



 

No comments:

Post a Comment