Tuesday 23 April 2013

Rugby ridicule and some serious scanning

Today, my boss tried to kill me. Which rather suggests I haven't made the best impression at my new place of work.

Ok, so it wasn't intentional. Although, since coming to Australia, the number of incidents of unwitting shellfish consumption (since when has an allergy been an amusing toy for your friends to play with...?!?) have been so high that I'm beginning to think its a conspiracy.

The new job has not got off to a flying start. Today I scanned and cleaned sticky labels off the filing cabinets. The day before I scanned some more. As I sit there, watching the pages feed into the machine I cant help thinking how glad I am to be £25K in debt for a degree which has led me to this prestigious position. As the boss said, if I play my cards right, I might even one day be promoted to the dizzying heights of receptionist...!


But the pain is worth it if it means I can afford to play two up on Anzac day and go to see the Waratahs play the chiefs tonight. Maybe I'll finally get to grips with the difference between rugby league and rugby union! So far I have had the following explanations:
  • League is a gentlemen's game played by thugs and union is a thugs game played by gentlemen.
  • One has fat people pushing around in scrum and the other has people running very fast at each other and as hard as they can and taking horse tranquillisers.
Its hardly surprising I'm confused! However, it is essential I work this out to avoid the merciless bullying I get at work. Admittedly, its a sports management company, I should probably make an effort to be more knowledgeable.

But no, the new office is good really. Even if the rest of them turn up in matching clothes (today its pink shirts and jeans) and all apparently share the same birthday... Which makes me think I have probably stumbled into some kind of cult.

No comments:

Post a Comment