Monday 18 March 2013

Temping termination

And so I wave goodbye to the job with the medical exam board. Its been a fun few weeks, but they call you a temp for a reason. And I'm swanning out the door after a few farewell glasses of white and with two snazzy laptop bags under my arm as a gift, so its not all bad!

Despite the work, which at times drove me almost off the deep end due to its tedious nature, I've achieved a fair amount. I have listened to the entire unabridged first 'Hunger Games' on audio book. All ten and a half hours of it. I have repeatedly heard all the music in my spotify collection so many times that I am now practically work perfect. 99 problems, Abba gold, Verdi, you name it, I can karaoke it (I'm not saying I can do it well!!)

In the few minutes when I wasn't grooving along to my headphones, I was eavesdropping shamelessly. I now know that 'The Adventures of Snuggle Pot and Cuddle Pie' is 'a very educational and charming' childrens book. Although with a name like that I feel that both those adjectives are probably open to individual opinion... The mothers in the office (pretty much everyone but me) then talked about the rise of 'adult' topics in kids books. I mean, some of them mention death! Yes, I thought, I remember learning about death, drinking, gambling etc from books - something has to prepare children for how to deal with their family... (only joking Mum...!) One of the mothers then chimed in 'well thats why we keep chickens. The children see them hatch, love them, then kill them and eat them for dinner'. Nice balanced parenting advice right there...

I'm not going to miss editing the exam papers, especially those in the Obstetrics & Gynaecology bracket. There is only a certain amount of times you can type the word gestation without going crazy and wanting to moo like a cow (am I the only person who connects that word with cows before anything else???) Although the whole office did enjoy giggling as I struggled to find the answers to label the cross sections of vaginas. Its nice to know that even 'real adults' still find this funny.

What else? I'll miss the jolly bus driver and his random upbeat greetings. And waiting for the man to get on by the tennis courts who has a face like a koala. Which could be taken as a compliment as it also means he must look like Dustin Hoffman - the holder of the most ultimate of koala faces. Or the woman who walks the two beagles and the pomeranian, where the beagles walk ahead looking embarrassed, and the white fluff ball prances along behind. Finally, I guess I will miss the road sign that I passed every day which proudly reads 'PERFECT CONDITIONS... for melanoma'. Ah. Great way to start the day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment