Tuesday 18 June 2013

New depths in delusional search for career direction

We've all had those days when we question our job - whether it be its purpose, responsibilities, working hours etc

But Monday really hit it out the box. Knowing that my boss had been off for a week, I arrived purposefully late to give him time to get his head together, answer the backlog of emails etc before I pestered him for my daily task. On arrival in the office, I found that unfortunately he hadn't got very far. Indeed, the only thing he could think of was a huge pile of financial documents that needed shredding.

Fine, I thought, I'm not above shredding. This is a job in which I spent weeks just scanning documents. Tedious. Repetitive. Soul destroying. Shredding couldn't be much worse!

Except there turned out to be no shredder in the office. So my task really was to hand shred (no, not using a manual shredder - hand shred as in actually rip all the papers up by hand) a massive box of very confidential papers.

7 hours later I had come to a few conclusions. 1) My university degree that cost me thousands of pounds and 3 years of my life was clearly invaluable, 2) There had to be some ulterior reason why this company is willing to pay me to merely rip up paper all day? 3) Hand 'shredding' is a lot more strenuous than it appears. My hands are now a reddened mess of blisters and paper cuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment