Sunday 12 May 2013

Maudlin Mondays

Today was one of those mornings when the duvet feels so warm and snuggly and you know that you have to get up and face the icy conditions caused by your insistence that the window be open all night. One of those mornings where you hit the snooze button about 20 times, and every time the alarm goes off again you choose to discard one of the morning activities in favour of just a few more minutes in bed. Shower? Breakfast? Nah. Snooze.

Somehow, miraculously, I still managed to make it to the office on time, to find that for once there was someone there to let me in! Result! There was not, however, a computer that I could use, so a frustrating hour of trying to sort that out ensued. Got to love the feelings of hostility radiating from my colleagues as I forced them to help me remedy a problem that they refused to acknowledge they had caused. At one point, I even found myself apologising for the fact that one of them had left their laptop at home. Crazy.

Feelings of Monday morning joy were not helped by the shopping centre in which the office is situated choosing to blast out Joni Mitchell all morning. Impossible to ignore, I will surely now be humming it for weeks. The kittens in the next door pet shop were going mad as I passed them on my way to lunch. Clearly, they are not fans.

On the subject of animals, I am pretty sure that I had a nighttime visitor last night in the form of a possum. I woke up to rustling, but, this being a wild and dangerous country (as I believe I may possibly have touched on before!!) I didn't really want to turn the light on and check what it was. In the morning I found that the orange I had left on my desk had been neatly peeled and eaten. Cheeky beezum! There have been a few possum incidents lately. A friend of mine was sitting on her bed the other day when a possum fell through the ceiling and landed on her feet. It then proceeded to sit at the end of the bed and stare at her, while she hyperventilated and rang her flatmates to demand rescue. Its an odd one when you feel scared of something so fluffy - but at the same time its a bit like having a Jack Russell sized rat sitting at the end of your bed. Disconcerting. Unfortunately, there are strict laws stating that possums are not to be harmed. Indeed, if you manage to catch one, you are only allowed to move it something like 200 yards before releasing it. Whereupon it will likely return to the scene of the crime. I recently discovered that one friend ignores this rule with relish - indeed, if captured, he will whack the bag containing the pesky creature against a wall until it dies. Apparently, when his children were little, he used to encourage them to help him with this 'fun game', which the poor kids did, not realising that the bag contained a (partially) live animal. At least, so they claim...

Escaping the office for an early lunch, I wandered like a zombie around the shopping centre before coming across the newly constructed children's playground. It is awesome! Shaped like a pirate ship with a mast, sails and a crows nest, there is a soft play area, springy trampoline bit, and a ball pool. I know what I want for my next birthday!!

I then went in search of food. While wandering aimlessly down the aisles of Coles I suddenly noticed someone staring at me oddly. I hadn't realised I was humming the Jaws theme out loud. He must have been questioning my intentions towards the biscuits...

No comments:

Post a Comment